Gone baby gone: Portland to New York

by | Aug 5, 2017 | Blog, New York

The last 6 months have seemed like an eternity. The decision to travel the world for a year took 10 minutes. The rest of the time was spent packing, moving (our stuff) into a 10X30 storage unit, moving (ourselves) into a temporary rental house, and WAITING! Sure, we did some planning and booking and such, but for the most part we just waited for Paige to finish 2nd grade, waited to fulfill some summer obligations, and gave ourselves plenty of time to, well, wait.

July 31st – August 2nd

The month of July was jammed pack with a camping trip with some Seattle friends at Ross Lake in the North Cascades (amazing), a mommy/daughter camp for Alyssa and Paige, and a last minute 4 day sojourn to Sunriver for me and Parker. The waiting abruptly ended on July 31st, and we entered the final stages of preparation, AKA scramble and try to stuff our lives for the next year in to nothing but carry-ons.

This 3 day final stretch wouldn’t have been possible if it weren’t for Alyssa’s parents hauling the kids down to Sunriver to give us uninterrupted time to string together last minute errands, goodbyes, and a few husband/wife debates on the merits of packing certain items. Yes, some tough sacrifices were made (sorry bulky DSLR camera with telephoto lens), but ultimately, with a little brute strength and determination, we met our goal of 100% carry-on (even though it feels and looks like a lot more than what is allowed on most airlines).

August 3rd and 4th

The first official day of THE TRIP was an early one. Alyssa crawled out of bed at 3:45am, I followed shortly after, and we woke the kids with about 15 minutes to kill. Page was bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and ready to go (she takes after her mom). Parker on the other hand yelled “what are you doing, let me sleep” (he takes after his dad).

We were dropped off at the airport by my dad, said our goodbyes and for the first time we were without a home and only carry-on luggage. We moved through the airport with ease. Alyssa had a freehand even! We even cleared security. Well, Paige’s bag did get pulled aside and she burst in to tears thinking that it was being taken away. After a little explanation, she relaxed, got her bag back and we were off to our gate, 7 carry-ons in tow.

The plane was already loading when we got to the gate, and we were slightly nervous that the agent would see our luggage and remind us of the definitions of carry-on versus a personal item, but alas, she just smiled and wished us a good flight. Let’s hope Norwegian Air is so kind.

The flight was uneventful and the kids were great. They didn’t sleep a wink over the 5 hour flight for fear of missing out on the ginger ales being dispensed from the drink cart.¬†Once we landed in Newark we went straight passenger pickup, hailed a Lyft and headed to my aunt’s house in Northern Jersey. We plan to stay here until Sunday seeing family and adjusting to the time difference (the kids only slept 6 hours last night and we had a few melt downs today). We then head to Manhattan to blow the kids’ minds with the bigness and chaos of it all. We will likely go to the Museum of Natural History, Central Park, the top of a tall building, eat some pizza, etc.

On Tuesday we catch a red-eye from JFK to Norway where it is currently 60 degrees and light until 11.

Stay tuned…


this user does not exist

this user does not exist

Recent Posts